Breeze-icons and Plasma Breeze-theme-icons

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 16:00:01 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 7:58 PM, kainz.a <kainz.a at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm one of the Breeze icon designer (e.o. made Breeze for LibreOffice) and
> for the plasma 5.5 release cycle I'd like to work on app specific breeze
> icons as written in my blog post (
> https://kdeonlinux.wordpress.com/2015/08/07/breeze-icons-in-plasma-5-4-and-future-work/).
> So for the next month I will contact a lot of app dev's and ask if I can
> make some breeze icons :-)
>
> Plasma is not an app but has there own icons for the Breeze and
> Breeze-Dark plasma theme. Some of my colleagues work on your Breeze Plasma
> icons.
>
> The Problem:
> Some plasmoids use Breeze-icons and some Plasma Breeze-theme-icons. No
> problem if the Icons are all according to the HIG's (
> https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/IconDesign). What we saw
> as an problem was that sometimes the icons are used in a "wrong" way. So
> that for example monochrome toolbar icons (22px) are used for plasmoid
> icons (128px) and then we have an visual break.
>
> The Question:
> Breeze-icons offers icons for the kde applications not for Plasma since
> now. But Plasmoid developers use the Breeze-icons for there plasmoids as
> kde app dev's use the icons from the icon set. Who is response to make e.o.
> new icons or that the dev's use the icons in the right way?

I'm not sure I understand correctly what the question is, but if you
see an icon which you think is used wrong, feel free to open a bug
report at bugs.kde.org, we'll take it from there.

> Where is the break between breeze-icons and Plasma breeze-theme-icons? Or
> should we bring them together?

Sometimes around Plasma we need an icon that is not present in
the Plasma icon theme, so we have to use the normal icon, even
if just for the meantime.

Where is the break between Plasma-breeze and Breeze-breeze?
I'd like to think there shouldn't be one. Ideally the icons should be
the same/similar in both Plasma and Breeze, that way you don't
have to learn two different icons for the same thing.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer