PIM Sprint this Weekend

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Tue Apr 7 22:27:54 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 12:15 AM, Martin Steigerwald <martin at lichtvoll.de>
wrote:

> Wow, okay. I thought you removed mail indexing from Baloo as Akonadi
> developers wanted to integrate it with Akonadi directly and I thought that
> work wasn´t yet completed.
>
> I mean mail search over Alt-F2, but also quick search bar in KMail which
> works really nice in KDE SC 4.14 with Baloo as mail index.

Slightly long answer -

Baloo in Qt4 contained a separate file index, email index, contact index
and calendar index.
Baloo in Qt5 only does file searching.

The email, contact, and calender searching parts were put in a repo called
akonadi-search. Some parts of akonadi-search require Akonadi-Qt5 (namely
the indexer), the actual searching parts do not require it as they are just
light wrappers over xapian. So one can theoretically write a runner for
Plasma 5 without requiring Akonadi-Qt5.

In Akonad-Next, search will be properly integrated, and Baloo will play no
role.

--
Vishesh Handa