The usage statistics [kactivities, baloo, ktp, plasma]

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Tue Oct 21 21:47:29 UTC 2014

On 21.10.2014 22:48, Vishesh Handa wrote:
> The purpose, I assumed, from Ivan's initial email was to "see how we can
> use the usage statistics gathered by kactivitymanagerd". Not to - in
> general collect ideas about usage tracking. The notes page also clearly
> mentions activities.

Right - I should probably recap what originally lead
to this thread. I'm actually sort of in the boat where
I expected all of you to know much more than I do
because I wasn't at Akademy, but then again not everyone
else was, either, so you're right it's important we get
the context on the record.

AFAUI it, Ivan held a longer session at Akademy where
he advertised KAMD as a solution / possible data source
for various features, and it just so happens that we
have feature requests from users and distro downstreams
in the same ballpark (e.g. some of the launcher and
task manager features being discussed). This lead me to
poke Ivan for an overview of how I might use KAMD to
provide these features (since I wasn't at Akademy) -
but it turned out the C++ API to do all of these things
doesn't actually exist yet.

Ivan also mentioned that David had a couple of other
usage scenarios for KAMD in KTP in mind, based on an
earlier meeting/conversation between the two.

Hence I suggested we do a brainstorm where we try and
collect these use cases and see how we might meet them.

> The reason I'm prodding so much is I'm scared of activities becoming
> this big central thing. I have a little bit of experience on working on
> a project where we worked on stuff without clearly defined use-cases and
> workflows in mind. We rather focused on stuff which we thought could be
> used in cool ways in the future.

That's a good point and I do really appreciate your
experience and input in that regard.

Cheers,
Eike