The usage statistics [kactivities, baloo, ktp, plasma]

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Tue Oct 21 20:48:55 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Eike Hein <hein at kde.org> wrote:

> On 10/21/2014 07:27 PM, Vishesh Handa wrote:
>
>> Who else?
>>

> Kicker. Ivan also has his Lancelot launcher in develop-
> ment as I understand it.
>

>  Could you perhaps talk about possible workflows and how this would be
>> displayed to the user? I'm still quite skeptical about how useful a
>> global recently used files list actually is.
>>
>> I've always found the list of recent documents quite irrelevant as well.
>>

> Based on the amount of suggestions regarding it (e.g.
> grouping by type and per-app entry points) and the speedy
> reporting of bugs in it, it seems Recent Documents is
> quite popular among Kicker users.

Alright. I was not planning on condemning it just because I don't use it.

My main motive was that if we plan to improve it, we then map down
workflows and decide the different ways we want the users to use it. Right
now, it is fairly hidden.

>  So basically a filter on top of the global list of recently used
>> documents?
>>

> Yes - it was suggested a few times to subdivide Recent
> Documents into content type groups like text documents
> and videos to get to the goal more quickly.
>

> Note that the purpose of this thread is to initially
> collect all the things we want to do, then figure out
> how the APIs to support that might look like (which
> includes finding out the right abstraction level and
> what should rather be done on the consumer side) and
> then draw up some concrete work items we can distribute
> over available hands.

The purpose, I assumed, from Ivan's initial email was to "see how we can
use the usage statistics gathered by kactivitymanagerd". Not to - in
general collect ideas about usage tracking. The notes page also clearly
mentions activities.

> In that sense it's fine to poke and prod the use cases
> e.g. to find the similarities and pare things down and
> avoid overdesign, but I'd prefer it if we could do that
> in a friendly "hmm, I wonder if ..." manner rather than
> the "please toil to receive my blessing" tone of voice
> you're using here. In addition to strangely selective
> thread reading (I named both Kicker and the Task Mana-
> ger in my initial reply, which you could have replied
> to to poke for details) and a lack of awareness of what's
> shipping in Plasma Desktop it made reading your last
> couple of posts in this thread really frustrating.

I apologize. It wasn't my intention for this thread to become hostile. In
fact, I even had another person go over all my emails (before sending them)
because I feared my questions might not be taken well.

The reason I'm prodding so much is I'm scared of activities becoming this
big central thing. I have a little bit of experience on working on a
project where we worked on stuff without clearly defined use-cases and
workflows in mind. We rather focused on stuff which we thought could be
used in cool ways in the future.

However, I should have re-read your initial response instead of selectively
skimming over the thread and only focusing on the notes pages. I assumed it
would be a decent summary.

--
Vishesh Handa