The usage statistics [kactivities, baloo, ktp, plasma]

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Tue Oct 21 19:58:30 UTC 2014

On 10/21/2014 07:27 PM, Vishesh Handa wrote:
> Who else?

Kicker. Ivan also has his Lancelot launcher in develop-
ment as I understand it.

> Could you perhaps talk about possible workflows and how this would be
> displayed to the user? I'm still quite skeptical about how useful a
> global recently used files list actually is.
>
> I've always found the list of recent documents quite irrelevant as well.

Based on the amount of suggestions regarding it (e.g.
grouping by type and per-app entry points) and the speedy
reporting of bugs in it, it seems Recent Documents is
quite popular among Kicker users.

> So basically a filter on top of the global list of recently used documents?

Yes - it was suggested a few times to subdivide Recent
Documents into content type groups like text documents
and videos to get to the goal more quickly.

Note that the purpose of this thread is to initially
collect all the things we want to do, then figure out
how the APIs to support that might look like (which
includes finding out the right abstraction level and
what should rather be done on the consumer side) and
then draw up some concrete work items we can distribute
over available hands.

In that sense it's fine to poke and prod the use cases
e.g. to find the similarities and pare things down and
avoid overdesign, but I'd prefer it if we could do that
in a friendly "hmm, I wonder if ..." manner rather than
the "please toil to receive my blessing" tone of voice
you're using here. In addition to strangely selective
thread reading (I named both Kicker and the Task Mana-
ger in my initial reply, which you could have replied
to to poke for details) and a lack of awareness of what's
shipping in Plasma Desktop it made reading your last
couple of posts in this thread really frustrating.

Cheers,
Eike