Regressions in Plasma 5

Philipp A. flying-sheep at web.de
Fri Nov 7 13:27:04 UTC 2014

> Not really, when implementing a new plasmoid version (most of the time, it
> is mostly about rewriting than porting), you don't actually know every
> little thing that the old one does.

good point. i thought that complex stuff like the taskbar is analyzed
before reimplementing/porting it.

> you're raising things on the ML that have already been discussed on the
> bug tracker, which […] makes some people feel like you're ignoring those
> discussions and disrespecting the opinions raised in them and trying to get
> your way via another venue.

that was not at all my intention :|

> Now ... that's not always a bad thing, some situations do call for
> persistence and escalating things to a different venue. Ruffled feathers
> side, good things sometimes come out of it.
>

> This is a very ordinary push-pull interaction, so nobody should get too
> heated here please.

i’m calm, and thanks for explaining why people did this!

my intention was based on the assumption that there’s some kind of porting
plan, an analysis of what to port with which features, or the porters
having this plan at least in their heads.

> yeah. when i tried it, it wasn’t implemented, so naturally i yearned for
>> the thing i was used to: middle click. shift-click is more consistent, but
>> i use the task bar more often to start new instances than to close them.
>>

> I made the same argument in the discussion […] so I'm receptive to the
> argument, and still mulling it. I implemented Shift-Click for now because
> it's non-conflicted and could be done independently of how middle-click may
> or may not be treated in the future.

maybe simply use a setting just like in the old icon tasks plasmoid.

oh! so intuitive for everyone but people who spent too much time with the
>> taskbar to try new things (this isn’t meant sarcastically, i really like it
>> ☺)
>>

> Note that if you use the Application Menu (Kicker) plasmoid as your
> launcher menu, the context menu for apps in there also has an "Add to
> Desktop" action (which is smart enough to spawn an Icon plasmoid on
> Desktop, and do a symlink on Folder).

maybe we could add some more discoverability, though. android and web apps
often have a small guide popups explaining features like this:

[image: https://github.com/amlcurran/ShowcaseView]
<https://github.com/amlcurran/ShowcaseView>
×