Regressions in Plasma 5

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Fri Nov 7 12:59:46 UTC 2014

On 11/07/2014 01:38 PM, Philipp A. wrote:
> people, seriously?
>
> you might notice that i posted a bugzilla link for everything but one
> item. why do you feel the need to tell /me/ (who obviously has done his
> homework) that knee-jerk response even if it doesn’t apply to me?

No, you misunderstand - the reason you're getting a negative
response here is in part *because* you're raising things on
the ML that have already been discussed on the bug tracker,
which (a) means that it's a retread for some of the people
involved, which can be annoying and (b) makes some people
feel like you're ignoring those discussions and disrespecting
the opinions raised in them and trying to get your way via
another venue.

Now ... that's not always a bad thing, some situations do
call for persistence and escalating things to a different
venue. Ruffled feathers side, good things sometimes come out
of it. But it means having to expect that kind of pushback.

This is a very ordinary push-pull interaction, so nobody
should get too heated here please.

> yeah. when i tried it, it wasn’t implemented, so naturally i yearned for
> the thing i was used to: middle click. shift-click is more consistent,
> but i use the task bar more often to start new instances than to close them.

I made the same argument in the discussion:

[Monday, November 03, 2014] [02:02:38 PM] <Sho_> Here's the thing, based
on the earlier convo I was going to put new instances on Shift-Click and
Close on middle-click (to match browser tab bars). But middle-click is a
lot more convenient than shift-click, and while close has other ways to
accomplish it (window button, keyboard shortcut), starting new instances
doesn't really. So maybe the convenient middle-click and starting new
instances should go together after all ...
[Monday, November 03, 2014] [02:02:51 PM] <Sho_> But if we use
middle-click for close elsewhere it's still inconsistent of course

So I'm receptive to the argument, and still mulling it. I
implemented Shift-Click for now because it's non-conflicted
and could be done independently of how middle-click may or
may not be treated in the future.

> oh! so intuitive for everyone but people who spent too much time with
> the taskbar to try new things (this isn’t meant sarcastically, i really
> like it ☺)

Note that if you use the Application Menu (Kicker) plasmoid as
your launcher menu, the context menu for apps in there also has
an "Add to Desktop" action (which is smart enough to spawn an
Icon plasmoid on Desktop, and do a symlink on Folder).

Cheers,
Eike