Plasma Addons

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon May 26 09:00:32 UTC 2014

On Monday 26 May 2014 10:49:11 David Edmundson wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 4:37 AM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 12:23 AM, David Edmundson
> >
> > <david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Hey,
> >>
> >> we've started to get bug reports on plasma-addons. It appears they're
> >> distributed as part of OpenSuse RPMs.
> >>
> >> Can I confirm our position on what we're doing here, based on our
> >> conversation last sprint.
> >>
> >> 1) They will not be released with the plasma release next month
> >> I think to do so would undermine the quality of anything we currently
> >> have.
> >>
> >> Plasma Next + 1 should be ok for any plasmoid that someone steps up to
> >> maintain (not just port).
> >>
> >> 2) They should have somewhere else in bugzilla than plasmashell
> >>
> >> I clean through plasma-shell every other evening, I know others do
> >> too, if we include everything under the sun it'll be plasma1 all over
> >> again. Stretched too thin.
> >>
> >> David
> >
> > Hi,
> > Having a separate bugzilla component is obviously good as well as not
> > having
> Bugzilla component
> plasma-addons
>
> has been created.
>
> It needs a component per plasmoid, but we can do that once we work out
> who's maintaining what.
>
> > them released makes total sense. I would add also that some will be deeply
> > missed like pastebin plasmoid or icon tasks but that's just how things
> > are.
> > Sadly enough, QuickShare (former pastebin) is ported and quite usable at
> > the moment.
> >
> > On the other hand I don't like the tone of the conversation, I read many
> > people here talking about these as if kdeplasma-addons was something
> > unneeded that some crazy people did some day.
>
> Right, that was not the intention. I use the quickview and notes a
> lot, and I look forward to having them.

that was also not my intention. Still we need to rethink how to handle the
addons. We accepted that the addons became a dumping ground for 3rd party
plasmoids which then went into unmaintained state. That is something we need
to address. E.g. by only porting things which have a maintainer. And I think
we need to first solve those structural problems before starting to port the
addons.

Cheers
Martin