Notifications in Next

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Mon Mar 24 15:13:12 UTC 2014

On 24.03.2014 15:19, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org
> <mailto:colomar at autistici.org>> wrote:
>

>     We're on a Desktop system, so everything that scrolls has to have a
>     scrollbar.
>     Is there anything that strongly speaks against a scrollbar?
>     Aesthetics should
>     not count, because notifications that need scrolling should be the
>     extremely
>     rare exception anyway. See the Notifications HIG
>     (http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Notifications):
>     "Keep the
>     notification content concise (no more than about three simple
>     sentences)."
>

> Space, possibly. The notification popups are rather small, stucking in a
> full scrollbar can make it look really crowded.

Would it make it look "not so good" or would it make it pretty much
unusable? I think we can live with something that doesn't look good if
it only happens rarely.

> However, the very current behavior actually elides the long text, we
> could just keep that (I totally agree that long notifications just
> should not happen).

Does that mean there's no chance the full text can be read? I'm not sure
if that's a good idea... At least unless the API clearly warns its users
that anything longer than X characters will be cut off (and put that
number in the HIG as a hard limit as well, of course)

>     Btw: Does the current status of the Plasma Next notifications comply
>     with the
>     HIG?
>

> As far as "behavior" goes, yes, totally. Except that /all/ of the
> notification popups close after a small timeout. But those with
> persistent flag will get saved into the history popup. Which is not
> ideal I think and I'd like to expand this with automatically creating a
> StatusNotifierItem for each important notification instead of putting it
> in the history popup (that would go away). This is the idea of Dario's
> blogposts and I think it makes more sense than the history popup; we
> already do that for example with KTp - we put a notification *and* a
> SNI. And these SNIs would actually replace the notification's tabbar
> that is in the Plasma 1. It wouldn't get created for every notification,
> only persistent ones.
>
> What do you think?

That sounds to me like it makes sense. CC'ing Heiko to see if he spots a
problem with it I might have missed.

Cheers,
Thomas