Notifications in Next

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 14:19:59 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org>wrote:

> We're on a Desktop system, so everything that scrolls has to have a
> scrollbar.
> Is there anything that strongly speaks against a scrollbar? Aesthetics
> should
> not count, because notifications that need scrolling should be the
> extremely
> rare exception anyway. See the Notifications HIG
> (http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Notifications): "Keep the
> notification content concise (no more than about three simple sentences)."

Space, possibly. The notification popups are rather small, stucking in a
full scrollbar can make it look really crowded.

However, the very current behavior actually elides the long text, we could
just keep that (I totally agree that long notifications just should not
happen).

> Btw: Does the current status of the Plasma Next notifications comply with
> the
> HIG?

As far as "behavior" goes, yes, totally. Except that /all/ of the
notification popups close after a small timeout. But those with persistent
flag will get saved into the history popup. Which is not ideal I think and
I'd like to expand this with automatically creating a StatusNotifierItem
for each important notification instead of putting it in the history popup
(that would go away). This is the idea of Dario's blogposts and I think it
makes more sense than the history popup; we already do that for example
with KTp - we put a notification *and* a SNI. And these SNIs would actually
replace the notification's tabbar that is in the Plasma 1. It wouldn't get
created for every notification, only persistent ones.

What do you think?

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer