Notifications in Next

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sat Mar 22 16:10:20 UTC 2014

On Thursday 20 March 2014 21:40:18 Christoph Feck wrote:
> On Thursday 20 March 2014 15:11:35 Marco Martin wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 March 2014 13:37:12 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > so I think I've nailed all the showstoppers for the new
> > > notifications, the code is all in kde-workspace branch
> > > mklapetek/notifications-next2 (mind the 2 at the end). Please
> > > have a look at the code and/or try it out and report back, I'd
> > > like to merge it this weekend to have some more widespread
> > > testing before the release.
> >
> > would be good to merge before splitting i think
> >
> > > One more thing I'd like to solve is very long text in the
> > > notification popup as the popups have fixed size (based on DPI
> > > of course) - I was thinking about making it scrollable in that
> > > case -> it would autoscroll down after a short timeout + the
> > > ability to scroll using mouse wheel on it. Thoughts?
> >
> > +1 for scrolling rather than auto resize ;)
>
> Scrolling is fine, but please plan for users without a wheel, i.e.
> either add a scroll bar, or simply use drag scrolling.

We're on a Desktop system, so everything that scrolls has to have a scrollbar.
Is there anything that strongly speaks against a scrollbar? Aesthetics should
not count, because notifications that need scrolling should be the extremely
rare exception anyway. See the Notifications HIG
(http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Notifications): "Keep the
notification content concise (no more than about three simple sentences)."

Btw: Does the current status of the Plasma Next notifications comply with the
HIG?

Cheers,
Thomas