Bughunting Season!

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Mar 9 13:00:25 UTC 2014

Hi all,

With the feature freeze looming in less than 24 hours, it's time to shift or
focus to quality improvements. We have a whole bunch of new awesomeness, and
perhaps even more new ideas. For now, we'll have to take a step back and admit
that we can't do everything at once, and concentrate on what we have created
and put in place so far. We want to create this stable baseline which we can
make work really well, and then, only then think about architectural and
feature improvements again. For now, it's time to stabilize, fix regressions,
fix bugs in order to make the stars align for a good first release of Plasma
Next.

That means that we also need to shift our work to a slightly different
process. I'd like to include in our Monday meetings a shortlist of "most
important bugs to tackle", so that we don't get lost in the sheer number of
them, not all bugs are equal, and some are definitely more annoying than
others. In order to get a quick overview of bugs that affect us, you can use
the following predefined search:
 https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=runnamed&namedcmd=plasma-shell&list_id=942085

In order to file new bugs, please place them under the plasma-shell product
for now, so we can more easily keep track of them. We will need some more
refined bugzilla strategy here, but for now, this at least helps to not lose
overview on the critical issues. (Just to make sure: the bugs are assigned to
my by default, that doesn't mean they'r taken: If you plan to work on a
certain bug, check back quickly on IRC, leave a note in the bugreport, or make
it clear otherwise, so we prevent duplicate work.)

We'll also open up for feedback from the community shortly, with the Alpha
release that will be tagged on Thursday (and likely be released the Tuesday
thereafter, stability permitting).

For now, though, arm yourself with coffee/tea/hot beverage of your choice/cold
beverage of your choice/cookies/more than one of the above, some patience, and
a relentless sense of quality and let's

									Kill all the bugs! :-)

sebas