5.0 and 5.1 Release Plans

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Jun 30 17:15:10 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 7:06 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 30 June 2014, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > At the Hangout meeting today it was decided to go with a three month
> > release cycle and bug fix branch and to use this cycle for 5.0 and 5.1.
> >
> > I've updated the schedule http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/Plasma_5
> >
> > RC tagging and tars this Thursday
> > 5.0 tagging next Thursday when I'll make 5.0 branches too
> > Four week later is 5.0.1 from stable branch
> > Four weeks later is 5.0.2 from stable branch
> > A week after that and is 5.1 beta and freeze for features and messages
> > Four weeks later is 5.1 release
>
> not completely sure the bugfix branches would be used that much, I guess we
> have to see how we can work with it
>
> one thing that occurred to me after the hangout this morning, is that the
> plasma-framework part that is a big part would have the one month schedule,
> while the workspace parts would be 3 months, that sounds kinda weird.
> but i guess we could say no features on every third release of plasma-
> framework, so synchs with the workspace.
>

> last thing, if the workspace has a slower cycle than all the frameworks,
> means
> that it should always work with several frameworks releases at once, since
> we
> wouldn't know what mix of version ends up in a distribution.

It's quite unfortunate the fact that we'll have a more schedule for the
frameworks and then the workspaces won't be able to take advantage of those.

I don't think it makes sense to decide to stop the development on a
plasma-framework, because after-all plasma depends on many other frameworks
just as well. It's random to choose Plasma just because it shares
maintainership.

Aleix