Runners KCM

Andres Silva anditosan1000 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 19:08:07 UTC 2014

Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Friday 04 July 2014 12:14:19 Andres Silva wrote:
>> Here you go!
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/jx93ffrpsfl1ap4/SystemSettings-SearchConfiguration
>> .png
>>
>> I thought of all the extra buttons that each plugin has and I thought
>> that it needed to be trimmed and organized a bit. The current selection
>> shows icons next to each item, whereas this design does not. However, I
>> can see that being there, just not the current icons since they are from
>> another era. I hope the idea here is understood.
>
> Awesome as always!
> One thing I was thinking of: Would it make sense to just show the config icons
> when hovering over a plugin (like Plasma-NM does with connections)? That could
> allow us to show even multiple icons per plugin without cluttering the UI.
>
> The user interface options won't be there for now, if I understood the other
> mails in this thread correctly.
>
> However, Vishesh would also like to put the configuration of the shortcut for
> KRunner in the KCM (which makes sense to me). Could you include that in your
> mockup, too? That would be great!

My impression is that it would not work. For the reason that the plugins
on the search are vast and configurable. You would have to provide a
very unique icon to represent each plugin. In my opinion the plugin
name, description, icon adds to one kind of identity that you can't have
with only icons. Plus hover/discover is not very clear cut IMHO. The
idea of concealing icons and then adding a hover action to reveal more
controls adds a complexity to the list that probably is too much already
for what the list does.