[kde-promo] Plasma Next Naming

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 17:24:08 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM, Mark Gaiser <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:

> It just shows that not everyone is happy with the initial proposal.
>
> "The next version of plasma" has always been made public under the names:
> - PW2
> - Plasma Workpaces 2
> - Plasma 2
>
> Yes, we right now have "Plasma 4.xx"
> We call it "Plasma". We hardly ever put a version behind it.
>
> I really think it makes perfect sense to just call it "Plasma 2". It's
> very much in the direction you folks (those blogging about plasma)
> have always named it. To me it just doesn't make much sense to
> suddenly entirely drop that de facto new name for "Plasma June/2014"
> or "Plasma Angelfish <date>" or whatever the order is.

Let me give a different example from the same area - do you remember
Windows Longhorn? Everyone was talking about "Longhorn" always and how
revolutionary and new it will be...and then, Windows Vista came out. From
the very same company, Windows Vienna turned into Windows 7. And many
others could be found.

So "suddenly entirely dropping de facto (public) names" is not that
uncommon in our area and I personally think it's not unreasonable to drop
working names either. Think of it as developers working with some name
because they need to call it somehow, then when they are done, the
marketing phase starts and the marketing people think of a new name for it.
And we could sell the new name exactly like this - "Unveiling the final
Plasma by KDE", done.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer