[kde-promo] Plasma Next Naming

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 18:29:24 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Martin Klapetek
<martin.klapetek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM, Mark Gaiser <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> It just shows that not everyone is happy with the initial proposal.
>>
>> "The next version of plasma" has always been made public under the names:
>> - PW2
>> - Plasma Workpaces 2
>> - Plasma 2
>>
>> Yes, we right now have "Plasma 4.xx"
>> We call it "Plasma". We hardly ever put a version behind it.
>>
>> I really think it makes perfect sense to just call it "Plasma 2". It's
>> very much in the direction you folks (those blogging about plasma)
>> have always named it. To me it just doesn't make much sense to
>> suddenly entirely drop that de facto new name for "Plasma June/2014"
>> or "Plasma Angelfish <date>" or whatever the order is.
>

> Let me give a different example from the same area - do you remember Windows
> Longhorn? Everyone was talking about "Longhorn" always and how revolutionary
> and new it will be...and then, Windows Vista came out. From the very same
> company, Windows Vienna turned into Windows 7. And many others could be
> found.

The comparison isn't fair.
The name change from Longhorn to Vista had cost Microsoft billions!
Literally. The change from Vienna to 7 wasn't that big of a deal since
it was already mostly known as windows 7 before it became the official
name.

Big company's can pull these stunts. They have the marketing budget.
We - KDE - can't pull that stunt. There is no marketing capital like
those big company's have. We need to slowly build momentum starting
from the very first blog about a new piece of software and sticking to
it's name or change it slightly. But the general structure should
remain the same i think.