[kde-promo] Plasma Next Naming

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Jan 22 14:13:42 UTC 2014

Hi,

[please keep plasma-devel cq. kde-promo in CC:]

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 15:03:20 Markus Slopianka wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 22. Januar 2014, 10:56:02 schrieb Martin Gräßlin:
> > We made it always quite clear that this is a working title
>
> No, you didn't. *I* know that it was meant to be a working title but it was
> not always made clear in public communication.

You know, an incomplete quote is not going to help in this discussion:

Martin wrote:
> We made it always quite clear that this is a working title - at least it was
> always quite clear to us.

The latter part is highly relevant here. Maybe removing it makes it easier to
get your point across, but accuracy is quite important as well.

> Quite frankly I cannot understand how you could have read my mail, which
> includes links to four articles, and still claim that the working title
> disclaimer has always been put in them...

To me, it was always clear that it's a working title.

Besides, out of 4 articles you link to, two don't even have "Plasma 2" in them
(there's "Plasma Workspaces 2", which we don't want for other reasons).

Most importantly: We are free to change the name, and given there are good
reasons for it, and we haven't invested a lot in "Plasma 2" as a name, to me
it's completely fine.

In the professional world, the final name is almost never the same as the
working title, it even can give some extra boost to the actual release.

Bottom line: we can go on discussing this for ages, what we need is a decision
(which we've proposed, and which has been further refined). Taking a few steps
back and going over the same discussion again is not going to get any work
done, it's just hindering.

sebas