[kde-promo] Plasma Next Naming

Algot Runeman algot.runeman at verizon.net
Wed Jan 22 14:46:37 UTC 2014

On 01/22/2014 09:13 AM, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [please keep plasma-devel cq. kde-promo in CC:]
>
> On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 15:03:20 Markus Slopianka wrote:
>> Am Mittwoch, 22. Januar 2014, 10:56:02 schrieb Martin Gräßlin:
>>> We made it always quite clear that this is a working title
>> No, you didn't. *I* know that it was meant to be a working title but it was
>> not always made clear in public communication.
> You know, an incomplete quote is not going to help in this discussion:
>
> Martin wrote:
>> We made it always quite clear that this is a working title - at least it was
>> always quite clear to us.
> The latter part is highly relevant here. Maybe removing it makes it easier to
> get your point across, but accuracy is quite important as well.
>
>> Quite frankly I cannot understand how you could have read my mail, which
>> includes links to four articles, and still claim that the working title
>> disclaimer has always been put in them...
> To me, it was always clear that it's a working title.
>
> Besides, out of 4 articles you link to, two don't even have "Plasma 2" in them
> (there's "Plasma Workspaces 2", which we don't want for other reasons).
>
> Most importantly: We are free to change the name, and given there are good
> reasons for it, and we haven't invested a lot in "Plasma 2" as a name, to me
> it's completely fine.
>
> In the professional world, the final name is almost never the same as the
> working title, it even can give some extra boost to the actual release.
>
> Bottom line: we can go on discussing this for ages, what we need is a decision
> (which we've proposed, and which has been further refined). Taking a few steps
> back and going over the same discussion again is not going to get any work
> done, it's just hindering.
>
> Cheers,
Plasma (by KDE) is the user-visible brand. Whether it is the fourth
update to the 2014 release is technical to me. I'm a user of the KDE
software product. I'm impressed with the underlying technologies, but
engage with them mainly because they become available in my distribution
upgrade channels. I get to benefit when the changes are positive and am
occasionally bothered when some sort of glitch shows up.

Plasma, with a "turbo boost, semi-hemi engine" or whatever. The extra
information is marketing which might make me seek out the software.

Version numbers are informational, indicating the maturity of a
particular installation. With backports, etc. even that can become confused.

But "KDE's latest update of Plasma is available today for your computer,
your laptop, your tablet, your smart-wrist-bangel...Look for it in your
favorite distribution soon." Adding the details for the excitement and
education of users comes next.

Good luck. Keep the good work coming. I love the stuff I can do with my
Plasma powered laptop (thanks to the hard work of the KDE community).

--Algot

--
Algot Runeman

algot.runeman at verizon.net