Systemtray breakout notes

Jens Reuterberg jens at ohyran.se
Thu Jan 16 19:46:18 UTC 2014

> That's not at all what i tried to say.
> Whatever you do in the systemtray, be extremely careful with it. You
> will alienate the users extremely fast if it doesn't work out for
> them.
> I - personally - just don't know. I just have to see it and judge
> based on that i guess :)

We can do wire frames of these ideas, slap them together, perhaps with some
simplistic animations to show various ways in which the system tray can be
handled visually without "breaking workflow" or creating a completely new set
of tools for the users to learn.

The thing is not to emulate others just to emulate them - but to keep a close
eye at what works and what doesn't.
Similarly - remaining the same just based on the idea that by never changing
we never alienate any user would be equally harmful.

The system tray is the one major interactive point most users have with their
hardware - its where not only stability but continuity is the most relevant.
By merging the system tray windows for example (having an identical window for
wifi as it is for battery, with shortcut-icons that can be used to move within
this unified system tray popup) that sensation of continuity can be
strengthened and enhanced.

(wireframes and animation are coming, just not this weekend, but they are
coming and you'll see the brilliance of them then and join the dark side ;) )