Qt Quick Controls style

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 19:33:04 UTC 2014

On Thursday 24 April 2014 10:38:56 Andrew Lake wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 3:12 AM, David Edmundson wrote:
> > Is the plan to make a QStyle theme that matches this pixel for pixel
> > then apps will look the same despite which tech they happen to be
> > using (and having a proper theme will work better and faster than the
> > QtQuickControlsDesktop theme).
>
> My own view is that QtQuick Controls is the way forward for Qt-based UI
> design and implementation. If we get something close enough in a QStyle I

yeah, probably true, but right now for desktop applications, or at least some
of them qtquick is still way too incomplete, and I wouldn't hold my breath,
since even today upstream the support for desktop platforms is still an
aftertought compared to the mobile use case, so I would say that even if today
is already possible to write some types of applications in qtquick,
we need to support qwidgets as the primary way of writing desktop applications
probably for a good 10 years...

so yeah, c++ qstyles not dying anytime soon :/

> As for Plasma Components, if it might be possible in the future to add
> support for qml style files to the Plasma theme package to style Plasma
> Controls while maintaining backward compatibility with Plasma themes,
> that'd be great. I *think* that's what Marco mentioned. :-) So maybe if
> widgets/ButttonStyle.qml instead of widgets/button.svg was present in the
> theme package it would use the qml file to build the visuals for the Plasma
> Button?

yeah, kindof.
not instead tough (or necessarly instead), graphics assets and the logic of
the painting are two different things

--
Marco Martin