Qt Quick Controls style

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 18:09:48 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 7:58 PM, Andrew Lake <jamboarder at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Martin Klapetek wrote:
>
>> Styling, yes. Writing a real application in QtQuick...not so much :) And
>> that's imho the real problem, unless application developers will adopt
>> QtQuick as their primary tool to write apps, there will be still be a need
>> for QStyle. And personally I don't think that will happen anytime soon...
>>
>> Oh no, not the whole application, just the UI layer. I can't think of
> anything QStyle provides from a UI layer implementation standpoint that
> can't be solved with QtQuick. But perhaps I'm just ignorant in that area.

Basically they are two very different technologies, interfacing them is
possible, but certainly not as easy as simply using QWidget-based approach
(which is what actually uses QStyle; you never use QStyle directly), where
there is no special interface needed. To give you a better idea, imagine a
garden divided by a wall, one side is the Qt/C++/QWidgets/QStyle, the other
side is the QtQuick/QML/QtQuickControls/JavaScript. You can use both sides
at once, but you have to somehow get through the wall in the middle. And
that complicates things a bit. Plus QML and Qt/C++ are different languages
offering different features too, some C++ stuff can never be done in QML.

It most certainly is possible though, just brings in more work.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer