RFC: plasma tooltips animations

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Apr 14 17:05:54 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 6:49 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm seeing more and more that one very big source of instability in plasma-
> shell for me are tooltips, especially quickly passing the mouse over many
> stuff that has a tooltip (making many move/resize event, many content
> changes)
> I don't know if is a driver issue (happens for me with catalyst and nvidia
> blobs). but often doesn't just freeze or kill plasma-shell, it brings down
> the
> whole x session for me.
>
> I seen that if i disable animations in tooltips (animating the position of
> an
> x11 window is probably not a such good idea anyways ;) the situation gets
> slightly better and i have slightly less blowups (sometimes still happens
> with
> taskbar thumbnails, but they seem to have instabilities as well).
>
> I propose to disable the moving animation of plasma tooltips at all for now
> (hoping that wayland, as universal solution of the world's problems, will
> solve that too ;)
>
> one thing that may be done, would work using the kwin effect currently used
> for windows maximize for animating (in a fake way) tooltips position and
> size?
>
> Cheers,
> Marco Martin

Hi,
I have intel and I get similar problems.

TBH, I'm unsure of what's the reason, but giving up on them util Wayland
without knowing the reason doesn't sound like the thing to do...
I would say we can disable it for the next release if we can't fix it
first... we had that on Plasma 1 anyway, no?

Aleix