RFC: plasma tooltips animations

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 16:49:59 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm seeing more and more that one very big source of instability in plasma-
shell for me are tooltips, especially quickly passing the mouse over many
stuff that has a tooltip (making many move/resize event, many content changes)
I don't know if is a driver issue (happens for me with catalyst and nvidia
blobs). but often doesn't just freeze or kill plasma-shell, it brings down the
whole x session for me.

I seen that if i disable animations in tooltips (animating the position of an
x11 window is probably not a such good idea anyways ;) the situation gets
slightly better and i have slightly less blowups (sometimes still happens with
taskbar thumbnails, but they seem to have instabilities as well).

I propose to disable the moving animation of plasma tooltips at all for now
(hoping that wayland, as universal solution of the world's problems, will
solve that too ;)

one thing that may be done, would work using the kwin effect currently used
for windows maximize for animating (in a fake way) tooltips position and size?

Cheers,
Marco Martin