RFC: plasma tooltips animations

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Apr 14 17:12:50 UTC 2014

On Monday 14 April 2014 18:49:59 Marco Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm seeing more and more that one very big source of instability in plasma-
> shell for me are tooltips, especially quickly passing the mouse over many
> stuff that has a tooltip (making many move/resize event, many content
> changes) I don't know if is a driver issue (happens for me with catalyst
> and nvidia blobs). but often doesn't just freeze or kill plasma-shell, it
> brings down the whole x session for me.
>
> I seen that if i disable animations in tooltips (animating the position of
> an x11 window is probably not a such good idea anyways ;) the situation
> gets slightly better and i have slightly less blowups (sometimes still
> happens with taskbar thumbnails, but they seem to have instabilities as
> well).
>
> I propose to disable the moving animation of plasma tooltips at all for now
> (hoping that wayland, as universal solution of the world's problems, will
> solve that too ;)
>
> one thing that may be done, would work using the kwin effect currently used
> for windows maximize for animating (in a fake way) tooltips position and
> size?

difficult. What the maximize effect does, cannot work for for the tooltips. It
is specially written for the situation around maximize change states, that is
different window pixmap sizes. With the same pixmap size it won't work and
that's not unlikely with Tooltips.

I think these problems are fixable. First obvious question: do Tooltips use
PlasmaCore.Dialog? If yes I suggest that we move them to an own C++
implementation - Dialog is a beast in interaction and we might have taken it
too far. KISS might help here, adding an XSync where a sync is needed, adding
unit tests/integration tests against KWin could help, too.

Cheers
Martin