Review Request 117450: Add Milou to the default panel layout

Hans Chen hanswchen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 17:26:59 UTC 2014

I personally don't think that the overlap is too big. The way I see it:

a) Kickoff:
The application launcher, so its primary purpose is to launch applications.
The search bar should be used to filter the "contents" of Kickoff, i.e.,
find items that you would normally find in Kickoff.
(I know that this currently isn't the case - you'll also get things like
bookmarks etc.)

b) KRunner:
KRunner is used for quickly performing common actions.
This could include launching applications, but also doing simple
calculations, converting units, opening bookmarks, etc.
There could also be a runner for Baloo, but the focus should be on quickly
opening files and directories, not "searching".
Therefore I would only do a filename search here and show the filename +
path (+ icon) in the results, similar to the current FS Runner[1].

c) Milou:
Milou is the full-blown search interface.
By having something like a magnifier glass as its icon, it should be the
first place the user goes toif he/she wants to search for a file
(it's not obvious you can do it from Kickoff and KRunner).
Additionally, Milou should show all matches, and offer things like previews
and "show this file in the file manager".

So although the technical details behind the searching are similar, I think
the different ways serve different purposes.

Cheers,
Hans

--
[1] https://code.google.com/p/fsrunner/