Review Request 117450: Add Milou to the default panel layout

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Apr 24 09:53:49 UTC 2014

On Saturday, April 12, 2014 21:55:55 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> Plus, showing the complete hostname and distribution (which is what is
> shown  now after the the "Type to start searching" is hidden) is not useful
> to most users at all.

One has to take history into account here. While cleaning up the Kickoff UI,
I've removed the "branding" button. This small text is a useful replacement
for that:

- Distros want to have the distro name somewhere in the UI
- Users need the name for support inquiries (otherwise, finding out the name of
the OS is hard and different for distros, barring command line)

Just yanking it out creates new problems.

Type to search is used in other applications as well, without input bar:

- Firefox: search in webpages
- kmail's move to folder

The underlying issue might be that it's understood as search, while it really
is _filtering_, and then it happens to be not so uncommon anymore to do it like
this. The fact that we're using runners for it is entirely not interesting to
the user, it also means that we should not just enable more runners here.
Kickoff is simply not a search-optimized UI. I agree with Vishesh that as
Kickoff is now, search has no place in there.

I understand it has already been changed, I'd have loved to discuss this first.
IMO, since we had started this discussion, it would have been nice if you
waited with this change until I'm available again, and we can go over the
issues. Making changes without fully understanding the problem, and with only
NAK input from the developer is not exactly how a team should work.

If the change has not been made, let's start over from there. (My builds are
still running, and I'm churning through email right now, as you might notice.)

sebas