Visual design for logout/login/lockscreen

Martin Briza mbriza at redhat.com
Tue Apr 8 09:46:56 UTC 2014

On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 03:54:03 +0200, Andrew Lake <jamboarder at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 4:37 PM, David Edmundson wrote:
>
>> Awesome!
>> That login theme in nice, and I like the idea of the visual
>> consistency throughout. I'll have a go at implementing the login stuff
>> on Monday, maybe the lock screen too as it'll be mostly copy & paste.
>>

> Yay!
>

>> I have a few things that need adding to the login theme, maybe you can
>> incorporate them in the mockup?
>>  - Session Choosing (KDE, Gnome, etc.)
>>  - Language selection (English, Deutsch)
>>  - Possibly keyboard layout selection
>>

> Here we go:
> http://wstaw.org/m/2014/04/06/login_with_session_and_language.png
>
> So as I was trying to find a place for the session and language, I tried
> come up a very rough information model for the visual design:
> http://wstaw.org/m/2014/04/06/visual_information_model.png
>
> The session and language items show status and also allow you to change
> them so I put them in that overlap area (status+action). (I also moved
> the
> battery info out of that area). Hopefully that provides enough info to
> figure out what else could go where.
>

>> I also currently need all 4 power options, suspend, shutdown, reboot,
>> hibernate.
>>

> We're happy to supply to those visuals. Between Jens and myself, we'll
> have
> them for you in a few days.
>

>> It would be ideal for me if in future in mockups from the SVG we can
>> label which SVGs from the Plasma theme are being used where; and if
>> there's anything new/custom. I think the main horizontal stripe is
>> new?
>>

> Oh yes, good idea. Perhaps just focus primarily on using the plasma theme
> colors first (inverted as discussed in my reply to Marco). Something as
> simple as that horizontal line shouldn't need much more than the theme
> color and the opacity setting. The plasma widget background should work
> for
> the user pic frames. Other visual assets like icons, I'm not sure where
> the
> best place for them is: plasma theme icons or system theme icons. Others
> are better equipped to make that decision than me. :-) We're happy to
> supply all the visual assets for this design though.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Andrew

Hi,

this theme looks just great! Really looking forward to be able to use it!
:)

I'd like to add a few points from the internal mechanics point of view:
    * Password prompts - there could be more than one at a time in some
        corner cases
    * Error and information messages - The authentication layer (PAM) sends
        some messages to the user occasionally ("User not found" and such)
    * Other dialogs - The user is presented with a password change dialog
        when his password has expired, I think the login screen should
handle
        this too

Other than this, as I'm not (at all) a user interface designer, so just
consider these as my small ideas :). Also I'm not sure if this is the right
place and time to discuss these:
    * Wouldn't it be logical to have the keyboard layout (or language?)
      selection on the left side of the dialog (to have it close to where
      the user will type).
    * Also, maybe, have the session selection somewhere close to the Login
      button (to indicate something along the lines of "Log into ..." by
      positioning them close)?

Cheers,
Martin