Visual design for logout/login/lockscreen

Andrew Lake jamboarder at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 22:32:25 UTC 2014

Hello,

After reading Aaron's nearly year old blog entry again this week (
http://aseigo.blogspot.de/2013/05/visual-harmony-in-plasma-workspaces-2.html)
, especially the following quote:

> ...the log out dialog still has things that look like little push buttons
and it still has inexplicable
> picture on the left, despite now being written in QML and having all the
power that implies.

> Plasma Workspaces 2 is our opportunity to improve these parts by
harmonizing and modernizing
> them. The log out interface ought to look like it belongs with the lock
screen; the log in screen
> ought to mesh with the splash screen...
>
>We have a couple people who can do this kind of work, but they have lots
on their plate already.
>This is a great opportunity for someone with a flair for design to get
involved...

I put a little effort into identifying a visual design that might get us a
little bit closer. I apologize that I don't have any idea what work may
have already been put into this area, so please don't take my ignorance as
a dismissal of any work that has already occurred. I also shared this
design with other members of the Visual Design Group and there were no
objections to offering these designs here.

Anyway here goes:
Login: http://wstaw.org/m/2014/04/05/login_mockup.png
Logout: http://wstaw.org/m/2014/04/03/logout_mockup.png
Unlock: http://wstaw.org/m/2014/04/05/unlock_mockup.png
Shutdown: http://wstaw.org/m/2014/04/03/shutdown_mockup2_1.png

We're happy to provide any visual assets required, which shouldn't be much.
(We already have a few to choose from). I won't speak to architecture since
that's your wheelhouse, but my assumption is that the UI layer could be
handled by the same QML package with enough hooks for the various existing
underlying functionality to use. I would like to have offered up a QML
package with this, but it's early days yet for my QML familiarity (but
getting better fast). :-)

Hope this is helpful and please let me know if there are any questions,
Andrew Lake
Community designer in the KDE Visual Design Group