kill the systray?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Sep 26 05:35:30 UTC 2013

On Thursday 26 September 2013 01:27:54 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 17:06:14 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > When I asked Martin if he knew a way to do the xembed, he replied (being
> > Martin ;)) asking if we can just kill it and quoted starwars. I wonder:
> > Can
> > we kill it yet?
>
> I just had a discussion on G+ with a couple of our friends with GNOME about
> this matter[1]. Apparently they are thinking of just dropping support for
> system tray icons altogether, and deprecating the API in Gtk+. If that does
> indeed happen, then that is a major step towards being able to kill support
> for it.
the bad part of the discussion is that it looks like they want to reinvent the
wheel and given some statements lately (e.g. GTK+ is just for developing for
GNOME Shell) I'm not every optimistic that they will even hardly think about
anything than their system.

> The only remaining problem then becomes Qt5. QSystemTrayIcon does not
> support the DBus protocol .. it should, really, since the two largest Linux
> desktop envs built on Qt use it ;)
looks like we need to fix that for 5.3 :-)

Cheers
Martin