kill the systray?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Sep 25 23:27:54 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 17:06:14 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> When I asked Martin if he knew a way to do the xembed, he replied (being
> Martin ;)) asking if we can just kill it and quoted starwars. I wonder: Can
> we kill it yet?

I just had a discussion on G+ with a couple of our friends with GNOME about
this matter[1]. Apparently they are thinking of just dropping support for
system tray icons altogether, and deprecating the API in Gtk+. If that does
indeed happen, then that is a major step towards being able to kill support
for it.

The only remaining problem then becomes Qt5. QSystemTrayIcon does not support
the DBus protocol .. it should, really, since the two largest Linux desktop
envs built on Qt use it ;)

[1] https://plus.google.com/u/0/110564179941764460291/posts/GrfpS9GvLqX