Introducing Milou

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Sep 5 15:25:01 UTC 2013

On Thursday, September 5, 2013 16:47:06 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> On Thursday 05 Sep 2013 12:04:29 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > it would be extremely simple to add such a “kind of search result” feature
> > to AbstractRunner and QueryMatch, and would be a rather nice addition.
>
> Yup. Hence this thread to bring up the discussion.
>
> > btw, what type does the calculator return?
>
> The type is also called "Calculator" - http://vhanda.in/milou_calc.png

this will take some thought to get the categories “right” (qualitatively, not
objectively).

currently we have the following types of possible results implemented (and
many others not):

* contacts (people?)
* unit conversions (calculation)
* currency conversions (also calculation?)
* math (calculation)
* wikipedia (reference material, online)
* youtube (media, online)
* nepomuk  (local content, various formats)
* bookmarks (favorites)
* applications (applications)
* control panels (settings)
* events
* commands (applications)
* window menus (application interaction?)
* desktop sessions (desktop control?)
* plasma desktop feature triggers, such as the desktop console ( desktop
control?)
* devices (storage locations?)
* places (storage locations?)
* kate / konsole /konqueror sessions (applications?)
* power management
* kill applications (application interaction?)
* translations
* windows (desktop control)
* virtual desktops (desktop control)

the list just keeps GROWING, which is good .. but it gets harder to manage for
the user, i think, both in terms of configuration but also presentation
(results and configuration)

i think the feature you propose here can help by severely limiting the number
of entries shown in configuration, for instance. (turning on/off individual
plugins could still be done with a “drill down” interface that allows one to
expand a category such as “Application Interaction” to show windows, virtual
desktops, etc)

> > and obviously there is something “wrong” with the
> > AbstractRunner/RunnerManager/QueryMatch API since people keep feeling like
> > they have to reinvent it for the most trivial and unnecessary of reasons.
>
> The reasons while not technical are more pragmatic. I want to ship this and
> get it in the hands of the users, right now (Or within a month). With a 6
> month release cycle, and Plasma being frozen, this becomes much harder. I'm
> sure you can respect that.

yes, i understand.

> It goes without saying that these features should go into the Plasma Runner
> API.

cool ..