Introducing Milou

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 10:14:59 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 04 September 2013, Vishesh Handa wrote:
> Hey everyone
>
> I've been working on a dedicated search client for Nepomuk. It was
> originally called finder. We have now settled on the name "Milou". It is
> currently in the playground - kde:milou
>
> Here is a simple screenshot: http://vhanda.in/milou.png

First of all, it looks really nice, a very polished and elegant layout :D

> Milou is mostly just has a different UI and has a slightly different
> concept of sources/runners -
>
> * Each source returns a returns a set of types which it supports. For eg
> the nepomuk source returns - Documents/Images/Audio/Video/etc, whereas the
> Application Source returns Applications and KCModules.
>
> These types can be enabled/disabled. A source typically should check if a
> type is enabled, but even if it doesn't then the results will be discarded.
>
> * Each match is given a respective type which is then used to group them
> together.

The thing that concerns me is that every now and then a new thing almost
identical-but-not-quite to krunner, or models to use nepomuk, or revolutionary
menus/search interfaces pop up. That's not a bad thing per se, on the
contrary, but on the other hand it may be not always very helpful.

while very fun and interesting hacking exercises (and that can teach many
things, as an exercise), I feel they don't really bring much at the target of
having the most polished product possible, in its default setup, that i think
is very important to follow.

Now, Milou has arrived in a pquite particular time, ie right now is exactly
the right time, if there is some particular limitation in krunner that can or
should be adressed the plasma2 development is in full steam, so if an
improvement (even changing something in the api) can be done, should be done
now.

I'm confident we can do it :)

Cheers,
Marco Martin