minutes Monday Plasma hangout

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 14:21:27 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> On Monday, November 4, 2013 13:19:37 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
> > > Martin:
> > > - Splash architecture: splash should probably go into SDDM, own
> process is
> > > too
> > > wasteful
> >
> > While I agree that own process can be too wasteful, putting it inside
> SDDM
> > would mean putting it either into all login managers or having a fallback
> > solution for non-SDDM distros like Kubuntu. Both mean added maintenance
> > (and very possibly duplicated code too?).
>
> It can be provided by whatever DM is used. Saying “we’re going to make the
> user experience worse” just because we can’t/won’t integrate with necessary
> systems is not sensible.

That's not what I said nor intended to say. I merely pointed out that this
would cause a SDDM-lock-in for "the true PW2 experience".

> Our users should never suffer because we can’t figure
> out the technology, and having a separate process for the splash screen
> slows
> down startup times,

True, though most of the libs are already preloaded by the login manager,
so it's not completely cold start.

> introduces more screen transitions

Well...the screen would have a transition from the login screen even with
integrated splash, no?

> and means more
> maintenance for us.

How is that more maintenance for us if the code lives standalone (compared
to being part of SDDM or whatever)? It would be moreless the same codebase,
just in a different directory.

> The worst case scenario is that users do not get a splash screen.

Which is actually "we're going to make the user experience worse".

> This is
> similar to a growing number of features which don’t work (at all or as
> well)
> without required system components.

I'm not aware of those...can you give some examples?

> SDDM and LightDM, btw, use the same D-Bus interface, and that’s not an
> accident, so if there is needed DBus communication I’m sure we can continue
> that trend.

Note that I don't have anything against putting it into DM, I'm just
worried about putting it into *one* DM only as a custom extension.

Btw. is SDDM going to be a required thing for PW2?

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer