minutes Monday Plasma hangout

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 4 14:04:10 UTC 2013

On Monday, November 4, 2013 13:19:37 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
> > Martin:
> > - Splash architecture: splash should probably go into SDDM, own process is
> > too
> > wasteful
>
> While I agree that own process can be too wasteful, putting it inside SDDM
> would mean putting it either into all login managers or having a fallback
> solution for non-SDDM distros like Kubuntu. Both mean added maintenance
> (and very possibly duplicated code too?).

It can be provided by whatever DM is used. Saying “we’re going to make the
user experience worse” just because we can’t/won’t integrate with necessary
systems is not sensible. Our users should never suffer because we can’t figure
out the technology, and having a separate process for the splash screen slows
down startup times, introduces more screen transitions and means more
maintenance for us.

The worst case scenario is that users do not get a splash screen. This is
similar to a growing number of features which don’t work (at all or as well)
without required system components.

SDDM and LightDM, btw, use the same D-Bus interface, and that’s not an
accident, so if there is needed DBus communication I’m sure we can continue
that trend.