Activities - Storing ResourceScoreCache in Nepomuk

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Tue May 28 09:31:00 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:

> > I'm obviously still in favour of scrapping the code or at least disabling
> > it for 4.11
>
> I'm leaning towards that decision as well - disabling until we start really
> using it somewhere.

Do you want me to provide a patch?

> One thing I wanted to ask you - did you do some benchmarks about how much
> virtuoso slows down when the database gets twice as big? (from my pov, if
> the
> performance is drastically changed, it means either that the tables are not
> properly indexed or that virtuoso is crap :) )

Virtuoso is meant to scale so I doubt the performance will be that bad. It
depends on the kind of query.

The main problem is the lack of indexes for literal terms. Since all the
"objects" in a statement are stored in the same column, we cannot have
specialized indexes for dates, integers, etc. So when doing a search
through for a certain date range and other similar stuff, it is doing a
manual scan.

Also, virtuoso never removes its indexes. It only updates them, cause in
the "semantic word" deletions are very rare.

> Cheerio,
> Ivan
>

> --
> Money can't buy happiness, but neither can poverty.
>   -- Leo Rosten

Vishesh Handa