Fwd: [Bugsquad] Something for the bugsquad :)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat May 25 13:30:04 UTC 2013

Hey ..

So, I spoke with Martin yesterday on IRC about these issues. I am not OK with
the approach Martin took in his previous email, though I understand it was
borne out of some level of frustration.

Instead of responding back and forth on the mailing list, I decided to speak
with Matin directly. His last few emails aimed at clearing things up have come
out of our discussion yesterday.

For whatever reason, people find the bug database a more dramatic issue than it
ought to be. Let's keep calm and carry on.

On Saturday, May 25, 2013 14:11:57 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> I have done a lot of stuff for you guys, but once the database is
> triaged you have to do your work as well, and that never came but for
> a few fixes by Marco. If you are not going to care for your own bugs
> (it is your code after all, and you publicly say you are going to
> maintain the codebase for 2 years! all over the Internet) now let's

Your efforts are appreciated, as are others who do triage.

What I do not appreciate is rubbish statements such as "that never came but
for a few fixes by Marco". I don't know, nor do I care, how you came to this
conclusion but as my name is not Marco and I also put fixes in during that same
time period I can assure you it isn't the case.

What I will not accept is more of this kind of approach the challenge of
bugs.kde.org. It is not acceptable to spend our time being negative towards
each other and trying to figure out who is at fault for what and, worse,
telling each other that it is impossible or pointless or a failure because
<insert reason you're personally unhappy here>.

Solutions or take it elsewhere.

> You don't care for the users? Don't release anything to the public and
> keep it to yourselves! But if you release an boast about it, do your
> homework, and that means handling the bug database yourself!

Myrian: Sorry, this is not how we address each other here. I understand other
projects thrive on adversarial jousting, but Plasma is not a place for it.

Martin: As I mentioned on IRC the other day, when you tell people something is
pointless (specificially in this case that they will consider 4.11 "a joke"),
then people will gladly oblige you and start behaving exactly as you described
they would. I hope this helps underline the reason we do not take the approach
you did in your email the other day.

Let's get back to improving the situation and making 4.11 not "a joke", sweep
aside the negativity and move on.