Fwd: [Bugsquad] Something for the bugsquad :)

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat May 25 14:35:00 UTC 2013

On Saturday 25 May 2013 21:50:25 Jekyll Wu wrote:
> On 2013年05月25日 20:59, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> > My aims are:
> > * get the number of bugs down without having humans looking at the reports
> >
> > * reduce the number of bugs coming in
>
> Now that plasma-desktop uses KDE_VERSION_STRING (since 4.10.3) instead
> of the never changing stone 0.4 version, we can make use of bugzilla's
> new feature of rejecting reports against disabled versions to reduce
> received crash reports. Since the plasma product is already receiving
> too many reports, I think it can apply a very strict policy with active
> versions: only make the current stable and current development version
> active. That means only making 4.10.3(current stable) and 4.10.60
> (current development) active.
It's already using the same policy as KWin: latest two minor of latest two
major. It works quite well for KWin, so that should be fine.

> Actually, since all plasma-desktops form KDE SC 4.10.2 and older use the
> same 0.4 version, we can simply add and disable that 0.4 version. Once
> that simple operation is done, plasma product won't receive any
> plamsa-desktop crash report from KDE SC 4.10.2 and older. I generally
> won't recommend such a strict or rude policy, but that is indeed one
> option if really needed.
Oh I didn't know about the 0.4 thing. Just created that version and disabled
it. Let's see how this improves the situation ;-)

> > * filter out new bugs quicker (I have some ideas especially for crashes)
>
> would like to hear about that.
Will do once I have done the first experiments with the idea. In my head it
looks like a sane approach ;-)

> > * introduce more components
>
> Yes, one component for each plasmoid
>
> > * assign maintainers to the components
>
> assign each component to the fake plasma-<compont>-bugs at kde.org user,
> and add real maintainer and plasma-bugs at kde.org into default CC list of
> each component. We all know the horrible traffic brought by watching
> plasma-bugs at kde.org. Divide and conqueror. Seriously, I always wonder
> how many plasma developers are watching plasma-bugs at kde.org ? No blame,
> I just think the horrible traffic would easily defeat most watchers.
>

> Never make real users as the default assignee, because that only causes
> trouble for maintain-ship handover, and make bug watching painful
> (assume I'm the default assignee of kickoff component and super active
> in the whole bugs.kde.org ,but some potential contributor is currently
> only interested with kickoff bugs...)
Very good suggestion!

> > * get the maintainers to care;-)
>
> My impression is many components/plasmoids just do not have dedicate
> maintainer, or has some no longer active maintainer.
Much more plasmoids have a maintainer than one would think. For example I
think just this week we found a new maintainer for the battery plasmoid ;-)

Cheers
Martin