[RFC] Moving Wishlist Items to Brainstorm

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sat May 25 13:23:33 UTC 2013

>what we could do for the plasma ones is schedule an hour a week (or twice a
>week?) and take them in batches and see if it is possible to work through them
>quickly enough.

>we'll need to be brutal: only compelling and implementable
> feature requests would be kept.

++

Being brutal the only way to handle wishlist reports in general. Even
if it's a reasonable idea, if none of the developer team have any
interest in implementing the wishlist in the foreseeable future there
is absolutely no value in keeping it open. Otherwise you just clog up
your bugzilla list from the information you do need to see.

When I tried getting involved in the Plasma bug triage phase (last
time this whole conversation came up) I found wishlists really
frustrating as I kept thinking "That's a terrible idea, if I was the
maintainer I'd close that", but didn't feel empowered to do that on
someone else's project. I've heard bugsquad say before "we don't touch
wishlist ideas" for the same reason.

There were even several cases where the maintainer even explicitly
said in a comment he disagreed with the idea, and then left the report
open. Obviously it was never going to be implemented, so it just left
things piling up.

Worse it makes it harder for new devs to get involved as you can't
just point them to the bug tracker to find a task, as it's full of
things you don't want to do.

I would happily help in any "hatchet" sessions. Regardless of the
outcome of this thread about banning/moving wishlists suggestions a
hatchet session is needed.

David