Fwd: [Bugsquad] Something for the bugsquad :)

Jekyll Wu adaptee at gmail.com
Sat May 25 11:46:51 UTC 2013

On 2013年05月24日 17:55, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> If instead we look for people who might be motivated to do some meaningful
> triaging, things could improve.

I'm sorry, but I really don't think that would work (so easily) .

It is not that there were no such motivated contributors in the past. In
fact, there were many .The problem is that (according to my personal
experience and observation of other people's activity ) they sooner (the
common case) or later(the rare case) get frustrated and lose the
interest, faith and energy with dealing with plasma bugs. It is not
necessarily that they give up with the whole bugs.kde.org. They might
just give up with the plasma product and turn to help other products.

I would like raise the question: why the plasma product is so inclined
to frustrate bug triagers ? My bold answer is : plasma developers expect
contributors to do most work for them, while contributors see themselves
as helpers instead of bug masters. And when those contributors later
realize they care bug reports more seriously than the developers do,
they just get frustrated, lose the confidence and stop helping the
plasma product.

Myriam is a well known bug triager. She has tried hard to help the
plasma product, then gave up. I once also tried hard, but now basically
give up, too, except filling missing version information of crash
reports for my personal interest. By the way, the plasma product has
just became #1 in bugs.kde.org, which should have happened long time ago
if without kdepope's ongoing work. I really respect kdepepo's patience,
but I think it would be more beneficial if he puts more of his excellent
knowledge and limited time onto other products.

So if you want to recruit more contributors to help the plasma product
on bugs.kde.org, the only feasible way in my opinion is work hard on it
by yourselves and prove to existing, potential and previous contributors
that you care about bug reports more seriously than they do. Unless this
culture and impression gets changed, I bet bugzilla contributors are
destined to get frustrated and give up with the plasma product, no
matter how many you manage to recruit .

Regards
Jekyll