Fwd: [Bugsquad] Something for the bugsquad :)

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Sat May 25 12:11:57 UTC 2013

Hi Jekyll,

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Jekyll Wu <adaptee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2013年05月24日 17:55, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>>
>> If instead we look for people who might be motivated to do some meaningful
>> triaging, things could improve.
>

> I'm sorry, but I really don't think that would work (so easily) .
>
> It is not that there were no such motivated contributors in the past. In
> fact, there were many .The problem is that (according to my personal
> experience and observation of other people's activity ) they sooner (the
> common case) or later(the rare case) get frustrated and lose the interest,
> faith and energy with dealing with plasma bugs. It is not necessarily that
> they give up with the whole bugs.kde.org. They might just give up with the
> plasma product and turn to help other products.
>
> I would like raise the question: why the plasma product is so inclined to
> frustrate bug triagers ? My bold answer is : plasma developers expect
> contributors to do most work for them, while contributors see themselves as
> helpers instead of bug masters. And when those contributors later realize
> they care bug reports more seriously than the developers do, they just get
> frustrated, lose the confidence and stop helping the plasma product.
>
> Myriam is a well known bug triager. She has tried hard to help the plasma
> product, then gave up. I once also tried hard, but now basically give up,
> too, except filling missing version information of crash reports for my
> personal interest. By the way, the plasma product has just became #1 in
> bugs.kde.org, which should have happened long time ago if without kdepope's
> ongoing work. I really respect kdepepo's patience, but I think it would be
> more beneficial if he puts more of his excellent knowledge and limited time
> onto other products.
>

> So if you want to recruit more contributors to help the plasma product on
> bugs.kde.org, the only feasible way in my opinion is work hard on it by
> yourselves and prove to existing, potential and previous contributors that
> you care about bug reports more seriously than they do. Unless this culture
> and impression gets changed, I bet bugzilla contributors are destined to get
> frustrated and give up with the plasma product, no matter how many you
> manage to recruit .

Full ACK, I couldn't have phrased it better.

The bugs list is part of a project, it is very blue-eyed to think one
can just push that to others to do the work. On the contrary, a bugs
db is only as good as the project that manages it. We have plenty of
good examples on how to care for your bugs all over KDE, and those are
a demonstration that the actual Team cares for Quality. Without even
the slightest collaboration from the developers no bug database is
ever being useful. It is so easy to always blame the bugtracker, and
the users, and the triagers, but Bugzilla (or any other bug tracker or
even the triagers or th users) is not a fault here, it is the lack of
quality management by a team that is to blame.

I have done a lot of stuff for you guys, but once the database is
triaged you have to do your work as well, and that never came but for
a few fixes by Marco. If you are not going to care for your own bugs
(it is your code after all, and you publicly say you are going to
maintain the codebase for 2 years! all over the Internet) now let's
see facts:do what you say you do, really, or don't use a bug tracker
at all and never ever expect users or triagers or any other person
outside of Plasma to help you with your own mess.

You don't care for the users? Don't release anything to the public and
keep it to yourselves! But if you release an boast about it, do your
homework, and that means handling the bug database yourself!

Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org