Fwd: [Bugsquad] Something for the bugsquad :)

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri May 24 11:13:27 UTC 2013

On Friday 24 May 2013 11:55:38 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday, May 24, 2013 11:24:09 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > Of course given the current situation it is pointless to report any new
> > bug. The chances are very low that it will help anything. This means we
> > are wasting the time of our dedicated users who report bugs. Also here
> > bugzilla
> This assumes nothing changes.
>
> The problem with that assumption is that thing are always changing.
> Otherwise we wouldn't be here working on things, we'd be leaving things in
> stasis.
No I'm not assuming. I'm describing the reality. If tomorrow someone comes and
starts to triage all those incoming bugs what I just wrote is incorrect and
I'm more than happy about it.

The reality is that the bug situation is fucked up. That was the reality four
months ago when we discussed it and it's still. Full stop. And nothing
changed. None of my suggestions got implemented. My mail for finding new
Plasma Components and to assign maintainers to them who would care for the
bugs got zero (!) replies. I tried to improve the situation. Yes this someone
who cared about it was there and lost motivation for it (surprise, surprise).

Now we can do something to make the situation not worse or we can continue to
live in a world where we hope that tomorrow someone comes and all problems are
gone.
> If instead we look for people who might be motivated to do some meaningful
> triaging, things could improve.
>
> I'd bequite happy if someone spent the time to find the top 10 or so fixable
> bugs and groomed that list with our feedback. Marking duplicates and the
> like would happen as a natural consequence of this.
>
> That's a realistic possibility. We had something similar to it in the past.
In the current state? No, it isn't. And I would find it close to insulting to
ask anybody to search for duplicates in the current state. We first need to
get the bug tracker in a state to make it possible for a team to work on it.
There have been good ideas, we should get on implementing them and not put our
hands up in the air and do nothing because tomorrow the messiah might arrive.

Sorry for being more blunt than normally. But we know that the current state
is broken and we should do something about it. Please, please accept the
reality that what we currently are doing about the bugs is insulting our users
and putting a bad image on KDE. Any user who reported a bug for Plasma over
the last year must consider the announcement for long term support as a bad
joke.

Let's work together on improving the situation. But let's do something!
Waiting for tomorrow won't fix the problems.

I think Michael's suggestion is good because it would stop the bug tracker
from being flooded. This can be reverted at the time when the bug situation is
fixed. If done the situation doesn't get worse with each day. Then there is a
chance to work on it. As long as we are getting flooded by new bugs there is
zero chance to get a solution. We need to help those who could work on it!

Cheers
Martin