Fwd: [Bugsquad] Something for the bugsquad :)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri May 24 09:55:38 UTC 2013

On Friday, May 24, 2013 11:24:09 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Of course given the current situation it is pointless to report any new bug.
> The chances are very low that it will help anything. This means we are
> wasting the time of our dedicated users who report bugs. Also here bugzilla

This assumes nothing changes.

The problem with that assumption is that thing are always changing. Otherwise
we wouldn't be here working on things, we'd be leaving things in stasis.

What you're assuming will never change is the activity in the bug tracker.

As long as we keep telling people that everything in the bug tracker world is
fucked beyond fixing, then, hey, we'll get exactly what we want.

If instead we look for people who might be motivated to do some meaningful
triaging, things could improve.

I'd bequite happy if someone spent the time to find the top 10 or so fixable
bugs and groomed that list with our feedback. Marking duplicates and the like
would happen as a natural consequence of this.

That's a realistic possibility. We had something similar to it in the past.

If we keep telling everyone who stops by to complain about the bug situation
that it's unfixable and everyone's efforts are a waste of time, we'll just
ensure that our own dystopia is reality forever.