Fwd: [Bugsquad] Something for the bugsquad :)

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri May 24 09:24:09 UTC 2013

On Friday 24 May 2013 02:06:25 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > in my experience plasma bugs are not looked at at all. It seems all focus
> > has been shifted to Plasma 2. As this is really frustrating for people
> > putting efforts in reporting bugs for plasma I would suggest actually
>
> tip #1: A lack of immediate response does not mean the report is useless.
>
> patience is a good thing.
With all respect: Michael has a point here. And there is no point to deny it -
at least not on our internal communication channels. I think we even had a
nice discussion about the situation after the 4.10 release. We had some ideas
but hardly any of it got implemented.

So Michael mentioned that the bugs don't get even answered and that it's
pointless to report bugs for Plasma. I agree there and stopped doing it.
Bugzilla tells us a lot to verify that this is true. For example over the last
month 100 new bugs got created which are still open [1]. In the same timespan
24 bugs changed to which either Marco, Sebas or Aaron commented [2]. This
doesn't mean that they commented in that timespan. It just means that the bug
changed. So a max of 24 bugs were touched by the core Plasma developers over
the last month. I am not blaming anyone here, don't get me wrong. I'm just
describing the current state.

Now I can be extremely optimistic, but I doubt that patience will help here
anything. The number of open bugs is constantly increasing and there is nobody
working on improving the situation. My reality check tells me that this
situation is not going to change.

Of course given the current situation it is pointless to report any new bug.
The chances are very low that it will help anything. This means we are wasting
the time of our dedicated users who report bugs. Also here bugzilla searches
help: there are 138 open bugs which were created since January 1st and nobody
commented to over the last 90 days[3]. If we go for 30 days it's 352.

I already suggested in the previous discussion to just close all bug reports
as we hit the scalability limit. We couldn't agree on that one right now, but
I think that Michael's suggestion is not bad. We currently lack the
possibility to scope with the incoming bugs. Getting further bug reports won't
help and is kind of an insult to the users and gives a bad image to overall
KDE. Changing the product to only editbugs users can create bugs could improve
the situation.

Think about it :-)

Cheers
Martin

[1]
https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?list_id=660649&chfieldto=Now&query_format=advanced&chfield=[Bug%20creation]&chfieldfrom=-1M&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=CONFIRMED&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&product=plasma
[2]
https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?j_top=OR&f1=commenter&o3=equals&list_id=660648&v3=sebas%40kde.org&o1=equals&o2=equals&chfieldto=Now&query_format=advanced&f3=commenter&chfieldfrom=-1M&f2=commenter&v1=aseigo%40kde.org&v2=notmart%40gmail.com&product=plasma
[3]
https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?f1=days_elapsed&list_id=660687&o1=greaterthan&chfieldto=Now&query_format=advanced&chfield=[Bug%20creation]&chfieldfrom=2013-01-01&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=CONFIRMED&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&v1=90&product=plasma