Battery Monitor revamp

kde at privat.broulik.de kde at privat.broulik.de
Fri May 24 08:05:35 UTC 2013

Hi there,

as some have already seen on my G+ page, I'm currently doing a
complete UX revamp of the battery monitor plasmoid.

I have pushed my changes into the plasma/broulik/batterymonitor branch
of kde-workspace. It requires recentmost kdelibs and Review Request
110607.
A screenshot can be found here:
http://privat.broulik.de/batterymonitornew1.png

What's new:
  - Battery percentage is shown as a graph too
  - Battery type is determined and visually represented (ie. mouse
battery has mouse icon)
  - Battery name and vendor is shown
  - Additional information such as capacity is shown. Can be further
extended later to show eg. serial number or recall message
  - All batteries (primary, mouse, power supply and non-power-supply)
are listed
  - Support for keyboard backlight brightness
  - AC Adapter plugged in is indicated by using the battery-charging
icons for the batteries, if a battery is charging, it fades in and out
smoothly. (So we get a distinction between "Oh noes my charger is
broken" and "Oh my battery is not charging")

What's missing:
  - Remaining time. There is no "global" category anymore and since we
discourage and removed the option for displaying remaining time, I
didn't see the need to implement it in solod so we can show it in eg.
the battery advanced properties
  - Suspend and resume buttons. Not sure where to put them.

What's broken:
  - Backlight controls detection (which is why that slider isn't shown
in the screenshot). I tried to make the check work properly but didn't
succeed so far. In current master it always returns true

I have not tested so far how it behaves on my desktop machine where
there aren't any batteries. It all needs further testing. If somebody
has an idea how to improve the backlight detection, suggestions are
welcome. I already patched PowerDevil to not load the backlight
controls action when it is not supported but the DBus check in the
dataengine that determins whether it is supported or not always
returns true.

Please test and give me feedback :-)

Greetings

PS: I'm still not convinced on *not* using a Switch for the power
management option.