Default activity naming issues

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu May 16 09:01:10 UTC 2013

On Thursday 16 May 2013 10:40:09 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 16:19:07 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > On Wednesday 15 May 2013 15:31:16 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > > Welcome is nice, but again, not a real activity (link to Welcome and
> > > similar).
> >
> > Yeah, I guess it comes from some of the adjustments I have in mind for the
> > overall activity workflow. I'd like a default activity which is the one I
> > get when I login, it'd always be in a clean state (no application
> > started).
> > And at any point in time I could say "save as a new activity" it'd take
> > the
> > whole content and move it in the new activity (emptying this "default
> > activity" again).
>
> so it would work differently depending on whether you are starting from the
> magical first activity or not?

Only the "emptying" part would be in this magical first activity (otherwise as
you point out it is exactly duplicate). That's the only thing which makes me
uneasy with the idea in its current state: having a magical first activity
which behaves slightly differently than the other ones. But that's fit my
workflow better than having to empty by hand every time. :-)

> duplicating activities (which is what "save as" would be) would be easy
> enough to accomplish .. it would mean potentially duplicating a fair amount
> of data (it isn't just about windows, obviously) but would probably be very
> useful.

Yep, I was thinking windows but you want the whole state indeed. If I'm not
mistaken currently duplicate deals with the shell state but leaves the windows
alone. I guess a first step could be to extend duplicate to take the windows
into account too.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net