reflecting on 4.10

Daniel Nicoletti dantti12 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 14:23:41 UTC 2013

2013/1/10 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
> hello.
Hi

> we're nearly at the point of releasing 4.10. with this development cycle very
> fresh in mind, it is a reasonble time to reflect on how it went. this thread
> can be a place for us to do so, if we so wish. and i hope we do so that we can
> improve our processes in the future.
>
> so how do you think 4.10 went?
>
> what do you feel are the "defining" accomplishments for the desktop workspace
> in 4.10? (e.g. the positive things people will talk about when they get 4.10
> on their machines)
>
> what do you personally like about the results of 4.10?
I really like we are going further on the QML land, means the transition to KDE5
might happen sooner and less traumatic as it was with KDE4

> what, if anything, did you not like about the 4.10 development cycle?
I really think quality could be improved, currently if you run plasma-desktop
on your console you can clearly see tons of warnings what not only make it
slower but clearly means something is broken, be it an anchor loop or undefined
values.
Don't take it personal as everyone has it's own priorities but I can
easily think a closer look to the console warning wouldn't let them
pass so easily,
from my own experience even when something looks well rendered but you have some
anchors warning things are very likely to break, I'm not a plasma developer
right now but I fell like I'll want to spend some time polishing it since now
I have a few plasmoids relying on it working nicely. Also I'd really like it to
start faster.

> what, if anything, would you like to be done the same way in 4.11?
>
> what, if anything, would you like to be done differently in 4.11?
Maybe it would make sense to have some sort of KDE Alpha
where we can have distro packaging KDE right after feature
freeze so we get some early testers to get it polished sooner,
but well this all depends on distros willing to package it as it
means more work to them..

All in all thank everyone that make KDE happen :)

Cheers :)

--
Daniel Nicoletti

KDE Developer - http://dantti.wordpress.com