Pager

Shaun Reich sreich at kde.org
Wed Feb 13 22:12:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Rick Stockton <
rickstockton at reno-computerhelp.com> wrote:

> First: Sorry about the creation of 2 (now 3) Topics. I simply found
> "Places" to be an utterly confusing word for the topic under discussion.

hehe, yeah it was...then one of said threads ended up exploding into 30
http://xkcd.com/1172/ ;)

> This could be used to allow an enhanced Pager, in a future Plasma, to be
> Shown on one (or more) VD instances... while not present on others. It
> could also, right away, be used to suppress the definition of Multiple
> Pagers on a single panel. That is: if one Pager is already present, but

I kind of don't see this happening to be honest. Activities are where we
should be heading, and that technology has a lot of potential. Virtual
desktops are an old concept and have no sense of segregation or context,
which is where activities come into play.

So, I see VDs as something we have that exists and should continue to keep
there for people who still want them, which is still and probably will be a
large amount (and the kickback of removing it would be disastrous anyways),
but something that we can't really "enhance".

Attempting to enhance a legacy concept as this, ends up going into the area
of what activities already do and are attempting to do.

So I think we should be phasing them out in the sense they're not shipped
by default, but will continue to "work" just fine, and instead focus on
activities.

I'm also not entirely sure what you mean by making "in a future plasma, the
pager to be shown on one or more VD instances but not present on others".
I'm sure I see the benefit of that other than a
programmability/configurability nightmare ;) The user can already dictate
pagers being visible on panels..I don't see why making a pager visible on a
per-VD desktop basis is necessary. It seems very inception-like to me.

P.S. it also seems confusing to me, shipping the pager with activities,
"why do these two things do similar things? which one do i use?"

--
Shaun Reich,
KDE Software Developer (kde.org)