Pager

Rick Stockton rickstockton at reno-computerhelp.com
Wed Feb 13 21:48:58 UTC 2013

My comment is at the bottom..

On 02/13/2013 10:12 AM, Mark wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 6:51 PM, Rick Stockton
> <rickstockton at reno-computerhelp.com> wrote:

>> Please let me understand how the hidden config gets set:
>>
>> (1) hidden in a .kde/share/config file, which must be hand-edited to
>> assure Pager's presence in the panel if VD is set to only one. Or;
>>
>> (2) the value is automatically changed ("single vd pager = on", or
>> whatever ...) by the User Action of explicitly pulling Pager Applet from
>> the Applet Chooser and placing it on the Panel, without regard to the
>> number of VD at that moment.
>>
>> I think that #2 is better: ui configuration files should generally be
>> set by User Actions. Until pulled into the Panel, setting this parameter
>> value, the 'Pager' should be automatically removed if VD is reduced to
>> 1, or if VD defaults to 1. I think that 'System Settings' is sufficient
>> for changing the number of VDs when Pager is not visible. (Option: The
>> VD configuration menu items could also be added into the desktop item,
>> too... the number of submenus and menu items which are now present in
>> the desktop menu is quite small.)
>>
>> I agree with Aaron, we should not even insist that the Pager be visible
>> in the case of VD > 1. So, we perhaps need another config parameter to
>> remember that choice (or, a single tri-value parameter). We should
>> provide a pair of checkboxes to set/unset the property(s) value
>> explicitly, too. (Because KDE is know for being MORE configurable and
>> customize-able, in comparison to another DE. Not LESS configurable.)
>>

>> ** now back to quoting Aaron **
>>
>> Mark's use case of "display is off, i need a pager" would also be covered in
>> this case .. though that use case is also one that should be fixed properly in
>> the window manager (Martin G. already noted that). i'd also suggest that with
>> present windows and the tasks widget, there are other ways of getting to that
>> functionality as well. otherwise, the pager's feature goals do not include "i
>> wonder where my windows are when i turn off random displays", so there is no
>> reason to optimize the common case / defaults for this.Maps
>>

>> there are some useful lessons in this, and i hope those who have participated
>> in the lengthy discussion in this thread will pick some of them out :)
>>
>> so .. who'll write the patch for the pager?
>>
>> ** Now back to quoting Mark **
>>
>>> That's a lengthy reply :)
>>>
>>> But now i'm a bit puzzled as top which patches are needed..
>>> First of all, you also agree that taking up the space and not filling
>>> it in with anything should be fixed. But you also say that showing the
>>> pager with one VD should not be the case. And because that is the
>>> default i'm guessing the first step is to get the pager out of the
>>> default setup.
>>>
>>> Then on to the fixing part. If you remove the pager from the default
>>> setup there is only one other way to get the pager. Adding it
>>> explicitly! So then the question becomes: if the user adds it
> [...]

First: Sorry about the creation of 2 (now 3) Topics. I simply found
"Places" to be an utterly confusing word for the topic under discussion.

Now: You are 99% right about by recommendation. But my feeling is: Two
checkboxes seems to be "more friendly" than a multi-valued integer
parameter, and I really recommend doing it that way:

"Pager shall be Visible, even if only one Virtual Desktop is defined"
     [checkbox]
"Pager shall be Visible, when the number of Virtual Desktops is  > 1"
[checkbox]

This could be used to allow an enhanced Pager, in a future Plasma, to be
Shown on one (or more) VD instances... while not present on others. It
could also, right away, be used to suppress the definition of Multiple
Pagers on a single panel. That is: if one Pager is already present, but
INVISIBLE, and the User adds a second Pager to the same Panel - do not
actually add it. Instead, Just make the existing one Visible, with both
of the "Pager shall be Visible" values re-set to "on" (checked).

My argument against the integer is this question: Is the count of
persons who will REALLY, REALLY want the Pager to appear when activating
at least 4 VDs (but not 2, and not 3) greater than a dozen, in the whole
world of KDE Users? I don't think it is. And so, the use of a "minimum
VD count", may possible values, is (probably) too much complication, and
very likely to be considered "a bug, not a feature" when Users increase
their number of Act VDs.