QML Placces design discussion

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Feb 13 14:54:38 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 13 February 2013 14:29:12 Mark wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 13 February 2013 13:50:08 Mark wrote:
> >> That's the intention and that hasn't changed. Apparently most of you
> >> seem to disagree here. Apparently i'm the only one that dislikes
> >> having an empty space shown by default..
> >
> > to complement what Aurelien just wrote: you need to step aside from your
> > own use case to properly discuss it. It makes you blind to see that there
> > are many ways to get to what you need. So far you only focus on what you
> > proposed to change.
> >
> > I looked to the problem not from your perspective but from the global
> > view.
> > Why is the pager implemented that way? Is that a valid use case? Is the
> > use
> > case correctly implemented or are there better ways to implement the use
> > case? This lead for me to: let's remove the pager in the default setup.
>
> I know and i did that :)
>
> The current pager is perfect if you have one monitor or perhaps even
> two since you can make a quite safe assumption that both monitors are
> on thus having a pager with one VD makes no sense. So yes, i took that
> step back and fully agree with how it's currently implemented based on
> that step.
>
> However, modern day desktops can have more displays attached then 1 or
> 2 and those displays don't have to be monitors. That's something to
> also consider and i'm doing exactly that. I think the current pager
> lacks that consideration.
no it doesn't. See my very first answer to this thread. Your workflow is a
workaround to limitations in multi screen handling. KWin should not put
windows on a screen which is not useable (doesn't matter whether turned off or
disconnected). It shouldn't put it there. Full stop! If it does put it there
we need to fix it. This means your workaround as a workflow is irrelevant as
we need to fix the bug, not ensure workarounds work.

--
Martin Gräßlin