QML Placces design discussion

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 13:29:12 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 February 2013 13:50:08 Mark wrote:
>> That's the intention and that hasn't changed. Apparently most of you
>> seem to disagree here. Apparently i'm the only one that dislikes
>> having an empty space shown by default..
> to complement what Aurelien just wrote: you need to step aside from your own
> use case to properly discuss it. It makes you blind to see that there are many
> ways to get to what you need. So far you only focus on what you proposed to
> change.
>
> I looked to the problem not from your perspective but from the global view.
> Why is the pager implemented that way? Is that a valid use case? Is the use
> case correctly implemented or are there better ways to implement the use case?
> This lead for me to: let's remove the pager in the default setup.

I know and i did that :)

The current pager is perfect if you have one monitor or perhaps even
two since you can make a quite safe assumption that both monitors are
on thus having a pager with one VD makes no sense. So yes, i took that
step back and fully agree with how it's currently implemented based on
that step.

However, modern day desktops can have more displays attached then 1 or
2 and those displays don't have to be monitors. That's something to
also consider and i'm doing exactly that. I think the current pager
lacks that consideration.